As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The ideal travel packing list for international travel depends on some significant factors like which place will you travel, what season you’re going, how long will you stay, what you plan to do during the trip and how long you will be away.
Some things should never be left in the house during the trip. Especially when you are planning for an international flight. Here we make a global travel packing list which will help you to make your checklist. Besides this, some tips about what to wear during travel as well as you will find a list of things ‘not to take’ on traveling internationally.
Adventure, humility, and of course patience will make your trip healthy, and better so consider them to be a part of your ultimate packing list.
International travel packing list ultimate guide
Are you going on a family vacation? Have you made your travel essentials lists? Not yet, don’t worry; here we have started a travel packing list for your convenience. Now follow the list only and pack your luggage. Let’s see the list.
1. Pack your basic itemsYou should start your packing with the necessary things. See the below list of essential elements and cross match with your international travel checklist. Your all outfits should be comfortable. You must choose your clothing according to the weather and culture you are visiting.
- Long-sleeved shirts
- Few lightweight cloths
- Sweater or fleece jacket (if the climate you are visiting required)
- Tang tops and t-shirts (you should respect the culture where you are going)
- Pants and shorts
- Belt- chooses one which has an ingenuity money protection option
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Socks- take woolen cocks if you are going hiking
- Comfortable underwear
- Sleepwear or pajamas
- Rain jacket, umbrella or windbreaker
- Sunglasses along with glasses case
- Jewelry- organize them is a mini circlet or cube
- Scarf or bandana
- Hat or sun visor
- Cell phone along with the charger
- Swimsuit or swim trunks (leave them if there isn’t an option for a swim)
- Travel pillow, ear plugs, and eye mask
- Travel speakers
- Travel apps that will help with directions, language, and money conversation
- Electronic converters and adapters
2. Take your toiletriesOther essential things to pack are your toiletries item. Don’t miss them. Let’s see which toiletries item you should pack for your upcoming family vacation
- Toothpaste, toothbrush, mouthwash and floss
- Shampoo along with conditioner
- Comb or hairbrush
- Face lotion and sunscreen with SPF
- Moisturizer lotion and night cream
- Lipstick or lip gloss and lip balm with SPF
- Feminine hygiene products
- Personal hygiene products
- Face wash and makeup remover wipe along with q-tips
- Prescription sunglasses and glasses
- Extra contacts, contact case, and solution
- Wash, laundry, and more
- Prescription wise medicine with script/label. It will help you to refill them easily at next time
3. Some extra in your toiletry bagYou may need some more personal product in your toiletry bag. These travel essentials will make your family vacation more comfortable. These products are:
- Shaving kit and extra razors
- Detergent and clothesline
- Hair products like hair gel, hairspray, and beard oil
- Personal mini mirror
- Perfume or cologne
- Nail clippers, scissors
- Travel towel
- Toilet paper, facial tissues
- Sewing kit/clothing care kit and stain remover
4. Necessary technologyWe are passing a technology-based life now. Now we are stuck in a lot of things without some particular device. So do not forget to pack your daily use device before leaving your home. Some essential tools should include in your packing list. These are:
- Mobile phone with charger
- Camera, memory card, and chargers
- Laptop, iPad or charger and E-reader
- Electrical converters and adapters
- 5. Things for good health
As soon as you decide to go for an international trip consult to your physician. You may need some vaccines or must check your fitness also. Discuss with your doctor if you have any physical problem like asthma, diabetes, allergy, or any other respiratory disease. Here we listed some important things which will keep you fit in your family vacation.
- First aid box (gauze, bandages, adhesives, etc.)
- Allergy medicines
- Diarrhea,/laxative medicines
- Cold medicines and throat lozenges
- Fever and pain relievers (take some children’s medicine if you are traveling with your kids.)
- Xerox copy of your prescription
- Vaccinations and medicines for specific region/activity (if you need).Moleskin
- Eye drops
- Altitude sickness pills (If you are going hiking in higher altitudes)
- Motion sickness pills
- Mosquito net/ insect repellent/sting reliever
- Sunburn relief
- Antibacterial ointment.
These are essential, but there are some products which you may need during travel, such as sleep medicines, hand sanitizer, baby feeding items (if you have kids), etc.
6. Pack your important documentsTake a separate travel document organizer and start collecting all your relevant documents. Such as your passports, ID card, etc. Bring your all-important document together. It will make you ensure that you have taken everything you may need to next.
Are you confused about what you should take? You can follow this travel packing list for your relevant documents.
- A personal ID card
- Cash and credit cards
- Frequent flyer cards
- Health insurance documents or card
- Guide books and maps
- Emergency contact numbers and essential addresses
- Transportation tickets
- Travel insurance information
- Print copy of all reservations and itineraries for easy access Take at least one copy of these entire vital documents in case you lose any of them.
Just after you decided on your international trip, it is best you check your ID card and passport aren’t expired. If you are flying with a baby, then you may need a separate visa for them. Consider making all the arrangements at least one week before.
7. Travel information, entertainment and comfortMany times we feel bored during the journey, especially if the destination is far away. Because of this, you need to keep up with some entertainment items while traveling. Because of this, you need to keep up with some entertainment items while going. For example, if you have a kid, then you can take some light toys. Below is a list of what kind of entertainment products you can add to your travel packing list for your convenience.
- Books and magazines
- Deck of cards and travel games
- Travel journal and pen
- Water bottle
- Chapstick and lotion
- Maps, guide books, language guide, travel guide, etc.
8. Consider some travel securityMany times in large cities, travelers should be careful about pickpockets. To keep safe your important and valuable things, hide them, and keep them close to you. Following ideas will help you to keep secure your useful things:
- Leg wallet
- Hidden bra stash for cash or credit cards only
- Neck wallet
- Hidden pocket or money belt
- Luggage accessories and reflective clothing
- Luggage travel lock
- Mini Flashlight.
Apart from the above list, there are a few more unique things that can make your international trip more comfortable. Here are other essentials:
- Power adopter: Power adapter is such kind of thing which you may need almost anywhere in the world.
- Stainless steel water bottle: Whether you are on a hike, at a beach, or just walking around the road, it is essential to keep yourself hydrated during travel. Sometimes it becomes like a challenge. But a bottle of water can help you to meet up this challenge anywhere in any place.
- Packing cube: Packing cubes is another very essential thing in the travel packing list. It helps to stay organized on the road. You will find your important stuff in just a few seconds.
- Quick-dry towel: In many countries, guesthouses and hostels do not provide necessarily towels. So you should carry your own. Usually, regular bath towels are quite bulky and enough time to dry. That’s why it will be better to bring a quick-drying towel.
- Solid shampoo: You can also include this item in your travel packing list. Usually, we become worried about our liquid product during travel. To avoid any unnecessary problem, you can carry solid shampoo instead of the regular one.
- Kindle: Are you love to read your favorite books at your vacation? Then a Kindle may be your best friend. Being entertain with books during lazy days at the beach or in the long train rides you can carry Kindle. It is a smaller, lighter weight, and you can take unlimited reading material on it.
- Flash drive: Flash drive is such kind of device which makes transferring documents faster and much more comfortable. If you want to share videos and photos with your friends or even trade music and movies for bus rides or long flights, then flash drive will be the best option especially if you are in out of Wi-Fi coverage area.
- Electrolytes: If you or any of your family members get sick during travel, you may lose a lot of liquids and fall in the risk of dehydration. Mix these tablets into water and replenish your electrolytes.
What you should not include in your international travel packing list
Some of the list of what you will take in your international travels we saw above. Now let us see what you should not include in your international travel packing list.
- Do not take so many clothes: Most of the people overestimate the number of garments they need for their vacation. As a result, they have to carry a sturdy bag for the whole trip. So pack limited outfits and enjoy your trip.
- Do not take unnecessary electronics: As they are expensive, an electronic product needs extra care. Take just essential devices like mobile, camera, Kindle, etc. And it is better to leave the costly electronics at home.
- Do not take heavyweight books: Usually, books are heavy in travel packing list than other things like clothes or jewelry. If you love to read during your vacation, you can invest in Kindle or arrange a particular space in your bag for a few specific books.
- Do not carry lots of cash: ATM’s are available almost everywhere. So you don’t need to bring lots of liquid money. Be smart and enjoy the risk-free ATM’s facilities.
- Do not take expensive jewelry: Wearing precious jewelry, especially in those places where you are treated as a foreigner may be quite risky for you. They may have the possibility of stolen or lost. So, you should not include expensive jewelry in your packing travel list.
- Do not take bath towel: Regular towel is quite bulky and takes more time to dry. For this reason, they are not ideal for travel. You can bring a quick-dry towel instead of these large towels.
- Do not take a mosquito net: Some people include mosquito net in their travel packing list. Most of the time, it is carried out unnecessarily. Almost all hotels or accommodations offer mosquito protection with services.
- Do not take sleeping bag: Usually the size of sleeping bag is quite large and heavy and rarely needs it in real. If you don’t have any plan for camping then sleeping bag is a completely unnecessary product.
General tips and tricks for making travel packing list
We have already discussed in detail about what items should be taken in your international travels and what not. Now we will share some tips and tricks here that will help you in choosing the right product in your travel packing list.
- Check the weather of your destinationIt is essential to do packing, depending on the weather. Otherwise, you will travel in the rainy season without rain protection or umbrella.
- Count how many days you will be thereIt will help you to select the number of necessary outfits. How many dresses will you need for your whole trip? Which places will you visit and how often you prefer to repeat the same outfit will be the factor of selecting the number.
- Note down all events and activities that you may attendAre you traveling for a birthday or any wedding ceremony? You must take some gift or some party dress for attending these events. So, make your travel packing list according to your upcoming programs during the trip.
- Make your travel packing list earlyYou can make your checklist for the upcoming trip or print out a quick vacation packing list from online (like the above list). The central fact is time here. If you arrange your packing list in advance, then you will get enough time to cross match it.
- Make a research on your destinationMost of the hotels offer the facilities of toiletries along with the room service. You can get many items like toothpaste, body wash, conditioner, shampoo, etc. If you are not too much choosy then why you waste space by packing them. If you are not staying any hotel, you can collect them any available drugstore of your destination.
- Arrange travel size toiletries or containerArrange travel size container or toiletries if you plan to use your product. Regular size toiletries product contain enough liquid, but many airlines have regulations for the number of liquids you can carry in a flight. So, buy a small size toiletries bottle if you want to use your product during the trip.
- Select the right luggage There are different restrictions on sizes for bags or carry-on in different airlines. Check the information on your flight and select the right luggage. If you want to use carry-ons, then the accepted at/under maximum linear dimension is 155cm/45in. If you’re going to use checked bags, you are generally safe under 158cm/62in maximum linear size.
- Pack separately for your kidsIf your kids are also in your family vacation, you are then packing for them separately. Keeping the small things of the children with the accessories of yours can be challenging to find at the time of need. So take a different bag for your children and choose 1/2 set more outfits than needed. Make your kid’s travel packing list separately. Include their clothing, baby foods, toiletries, and even the necessary medicines.
Think about your kids from the beginning of your travel plan. Even for travel, you should select the best places to travel with baby. Select such type of airline which offers enough facilities for kids.
Prepare your home before you leave
Are you going on a journey for an international family vacation? If you are going for an extended trip, then it is essential to arrange your home in order before you leave. Here is a list containing some task which will keep your home safe in your absence.
- Unplug all electronic devices
- Remove those things from the refrigerator which will expire
- Lock all doors and windows
- Turn off washing machine taps
- Turn down the water heater
- Turn off air condition/heater/cooler
- Pre-pay all bills
- Arrange for care of plants, lawn, and pets
- Set up an email auto-responder (in case you can’t stay connected)
- Stop newspaper delivery
- Have the post office hold your letters
- Leave one set of the house key and your trip itineraries with a trusted friend
- Store valuables in a safer place
- Set up a timed light system
- Leave flight information and hotel itineraries with a relative
- Arrange school absences if you take your kids and get any homework or assignments required
- Check, recheck and double check your airline schedule and other important documents.
If you are leaving your home for more than 30 days, it is a better idea to inform your homeowner or check with renter’s insurance for some specific instructions.
Some apps for packing assistance
Are you confused about your travel packing list? If you like the standard pen and paper method for making a travel list, then you can depend on various app uses on a mobile device. For your convenience, here we will see some helpful packing app for you. Let us see.
- Evernote: Evernote app is not entirely travel oriented. It is all about packing lists which can help much for packing.
- Packing Pro: If you are a constant forgetter in the matter of packing, then this app is the best assistant for you. It is everything that you ever want for packing.
- PackPoint: This is a fantastic app which will instruct you what to pack based on the weather when you go there, how long you are traveling and what activities you have planned. It is like a complete package for packing.
- Travel list: This app is also beneficial and works like the PackPoint and Packing Pro app. You can create alerts/reminder, create customizable packing lists, share with other people, and sync across your devices.
- DUFL: This app is best for them who frequently travel for business purpose. It is a service where business clothes cleaned, prepared, and send directly to the client’s destination so that the client can go hands-free.
Bottom lineInternational travel with alone or family is certainly a lot of fun. But if you cannot make travel packing list in the right way, many happiness can be lost. For example, you are going to join somebody’s wedding celebrations but forgot to dress accordingly. Or went for hiking but forgot to take the appropriate boot shoes. So please follow the travel as mentioned above packing list and enjoy your vacation. Do not forget to give us a comment about how this packing related article is helpful to you in the comments box. All the best.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Pingback: Ultimate Guide To Flying With A Baby | Smart Tips
Pingback: 12 Effective Tips On How To Travel With A Baby
Pingback: How to Plan a Family Vacation Step by Step Guide
Pingback: How To Save Money For Travel | Your Savings Guidelines
Pingback: 18 Best Places To Travel With Baby | Family Vacation